Saturday, August 23, 2008

Our Pond....Until We Move

On Memorial day this year Daniel and I had a little "discussion" about what we were going to do. I was dying to go camping. Daniel doesn't like to camp when it's a holiday because it is too crowded. He came up with the idea to stay home and spend the weekend cleaning up the yard in the house we are staying in. I wasn't exactly excited about this idea but when we moved in it needed much help. As we were pulling weeds, trimming bushes, and pruning trees Daniel decided we should fix the pond up. When we moved in it was pretty gross. The water in the pond was a mixture of rain and raccoon urine. I didn't think it was a good idea to invest too much time and money into this pond because we aren't taking it with us when we leave. Isaiah wanted fish so I got outnumbered two to one. Daniel cleaned up the pond and then we went to Petco to learn all we could about pond fish and plants. This was the beginning of weekly visits to Petco to get more fish or just look at them for fun. I do have to admit that the fish are very pretty and it is very peaceful in our backyard now.











The water in these pictures is pretty murky. Daniel has now perfected the art of keeping our pond crystal clear. I never knew he was such a fish lover??

We have to put chicken wire over the top of the pond to keep the raccoons out. The reason I bring this up is because I forgot to put the top back on last night and I think the raccoons got to our fish. They hide under the rocks and plants so I couldn't tell for sure but I was so sad to have to tell Daniel. Isaiah doesn't know yet.


Here are some pictures of us roasting sausages in our backyard. This is one of our favorite warm summer night meals.

6 comments:

Heidi and Matt said...

Hi Steph! I saw you on crystals blog. I know I'm your facebook friend, but it is MUCH MORE FUN to see your pictures. Your yard is beautiful. Isaiah is the cutest kid on the planet too!!!

Heather said...

Nice Pond!!!! Sorry about the fish though. Dang varmits!!!!

Jen & Johnny said...

That is an awesome pond!! I am so glad you found my blog!! You and your husband are so cute and Isaiah is darling!! We are having another baby~ a boy this time and Johnny is extatic!!!!!!

Bob and Julie said...

I wish we had a pond!! That is awesome!!! The fish is truly a sad story. I cracked up with Isaiah and his hotdogs. It looks like a woderful backyard! Well.....until you move :)

Daniel and Monica Long said...

Steph, you guys are so cute! I can't believe I haven't seen the pond yet... has it really been that long since I've come down!?

Crystal said...

hey steph! guess i haven't checked your blog in a little while. love the pond! how cute!! my girls would love something like that. you have a great backyard!